Quick release couplings are fitting are used to mate fluid lines with system equipment that requires frequent connecting and disconnecting. They are used in both pneumatic and hydraulic applications to build or discontinue the connection of a fluid pipeline.
What is a Quick Disconnect Coupling?
Quick disconnect couplings are fittings used to provide air and fluid lines’ connection and disconnection easily and fast. They are sometimes known as quick release or quick connect couplings. These quick disconnect couplings are used in place of fitting connections which would typically need tools to be assembled or disassembled.
Purpose of Couplings
Couplings are used in machinery or lines for different purposes. The primary function of a coupling is to transfer power from one end to the other. Other common uses of couplings are listed below:
- Couplings are used for the alteration of the vibration characteristics of the rotating units
- They connect the driven part with the driving part
- Couplings introduce protection between the rotating parts (i.e. overload protection)
- Couplings serve the purpose of reducing the transmission of shock loads between two shafts
- When overload occurs, couplings are there to slip
- Couplings are used for power transmission
- They absorb shock and vibration
- Misalignment accommodation
- They are used to interrupt heat flow